Saturday, April 17, 2021

Propagating Camellia Plants

My husband's grandmother allowed me to take a few clippings of her pink camellia bushes so I could try to grow them at my home. She originally took clippings from her home back in Lumberton, NC, and did this exact same process at her current home in Ashland, VA. I snagged a few white camellia clippings from my mother-in-law. 

So I have a total of 6. I was told to take each clipping and plant it in the dirt. Nothing special. Put a little miracle gro around the base of the plant (I used planting soil with miracle gro in it), and cover it with a jar. Here, I used wide-mouth quart-sized jars we had around for canning. 

I planted them around April 1st. So, currently, they have been going for about 2 weeks now. 

I will tell you that propagation is not for the impatient. There is really no way to check to see if these clippings have sprouted any good roots without yanking them out of the dirt to look. The leaves are still green on them, but the blossom has fallen off most of them and turned brown. Apparently, that is ok. I believe that I need to leave them at least for another month before I should look at them. 

Stay tuned for propagation updates soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Adding Comments to the Blog

It seems like people are having trouble posting comments to the Blog. Hopefully, these tips will help: I recommend you only try posting usin...